Knox United Church Foundation, of Calgary (Knox Foundation) is an independent body that receives, holds and manages endowments and other funds in the form of money or other property, and to apply income or other capital from those funds yearly to support the ongoing ministry of Knox United Church, Calgary or for the maintenance of the Historical Building, Casavant Organ and / or the Memorial Garden.
Knox Foundation is a registered Canadian charity 137406039 RR0001
It was founded in 1987 by the members of Knox United Church.
Contributions are kept strictly confidential.
Knox Foundation had a value of $829,073 at the end of August 2017. 94% of the Knox Foundation’s assets are being conservatively managed by the Calgary Foundation.
The main purpose of the Foundation is to provide sustaining income to Knox United Church. Annual disbursements are based on the profit and income from invested capital.
Base capital is sometimes used to help fund special projects at Knox United Church that require additional capital. The Foundation partly funded a new roof on the Knox United Church Annex Building. Knox Foundation has also provided supplementary funding for the development of the lower level of the Annex Building.
Knox Foundation has donated nearly $400,000 to Knox United Church since 1991.
Create a living legacy, today
Often when we speak to others of Knox United Church and what it means to us, we speak of a special relationship and the special place where we worship. We speak about the messages and the teachings. We speak about the Sanctuary as a place for peaceful worship; we speak of the music and we speak of a desire to have all of this passed on to others despite the ravages of time and change. We are the benefactors from past generations. From time to time we also speak with pride and gratitude for all we have been afforded. Setting up a plan today creates a living legacy and will ensure that these things are enjoyed for time to come. You do not have to be wealthy to ensure the ongoing health of our Church. Everyone can contribute.
Ways to give
- Donate using a pre-authorized remittance (PAR) plan or make a one-time cash donation. Annual contributions over $200 attract about a 40% tax refund in Alberta.
- Remember Knox Foundation in your Will. Your Estate will be given a tax receipt for the donation amount.
- Set up an insurance policy and name Knox Foundation as a beneficiary. In the year of your death, your estate will receive a tax receipt for the face value of your policy.
- Set up the same insurance policy and formally assign the contract to Knox Foundation. Thereafter, the Foundation gives you an annual tax receipt for the premiums paid for as many years as you continue to pay those premiums. The Foundation receives the insurance proceeds in the year of death, with no tax receipt issued at that time. If an existing insurance policy had a cash value at the time it was assigned to the Foundation, the Foundation could issue a tax receipt to the donor for that value at that time.
- Donated publically traded securities (e.g. shares, bonds, bills, warrants, futures, or units of mutual funds). You don’t have to pay any tax on capital gains. You also qualify for a charitable donation receipt based on the asset’s fair market value.
- Have your financial advisor create a Charitable Remainder Trust where the donor makes an irrevocable gift of the residual interest to Knox Foundation. A donation receipt would be issued for the fair market value of the residual interest in the property at the time that the residual interest vests in the charity.
- You can designate Knox Foundation as a direct beneficiary of your RRSP, RRIF or TFSA. Knox Foundation would issue a tax receipt for the full amount being transferred. With this designation these assets are not included in your estate and are not subject to probate fees.
For more information contact Knox Foundation at 403-269-8382 or by mail 506, 4th St SW, Calgary, AB, T2P 1S7